The First Congregational Church is looking for a person with strong interpersonal and technical skills to be part of the staff of a vibrant, growing, and welcoming congregation. Duties include receptionist responsibilities, communication (print, electronic and in-person), financial tracking and bill paying, website management, and membership database management. The Administrator will handle the publication of the weekly bulletin, weekly e-mail, monthly newsletter and annual reports. The Administrator will work with the staff to facilitate the operations for the organization along with the care of our facilities.
The successful candidate will bring initiative and an entrepreneurial spirit along with skills in the Microsoft Office Suite, electronic financial systems (like QuickBooks), database systems and website management tools. Strong writing and editing skills are helpful. Experience in a church/faith setting is also helpful. We offer the chance to work with friendly people in a meaningful environment with a flexible schedule.
Complete Job Description
The First Congregational Church is a vibrant, progressive and growing congregation of the United Church of Christ. The Administrator will play a key role in the functioning of the church through duties related to communications, publications, finances, operations, and database management.
The Administrator is employed by the Church as voted by Council in consultation with the Pastor. The Administrator is immediately responsible to the Pastor of the Church.
Responsibilities of the Administrator In general:
- Serve as the first contact for the organization especially for those communicating by telephone, e-mail or office visitation.
- Coordinate church communication efforts including print, e-mail, and website.
- Maintain databases regarding membership and friends of the church.
- Facilitate bill payments and reimbursements and coordinate church finances with Accountant and Treasurer.
- Manage facilities including ordering supplies, coordinating with external groups, and coordinating with cleaning service.
- Coordinate record systems including the church calendar, Board minutes, Annual Reports, church maintenance contractors…
This position is part time with an expectation of 24 hours per week. Currently the Administrator works four days per week for six hours each day. The schedule is negotiable with the Pastor and Church Council. The Administrator receives paid holidays as well as vacation time.
Support of the Administrator
The church will support the Administrator through the Pastor and the Personnel Committee. It is expected that the Administrator engage in professional development activities and will be provided with a budget for that purpose. For 2018, the professional development budget is $300 per fiscal year and may be adjusted in future years at the discretion of the Church Council. The Administrator will propose to the Pastor a plan and budget for such professional development activities.
The employment of the Administrator will be reviewed by the Personnel Committee six months after beginning work. Reviews will then be completed annually. Termination of the Administrator’s employment may be effected by written notice of either the Administrator or the Church Council. In each case thirty-day notice is required.
Duties of the Administrator
- Handle incoming requests to the church through telephone, e-mail and visits. Direct inquiries professionally, accurately and promptly.
- Have an eye in all communication to excellence, beauty and efficiency.
- Print Communication: facilitate the printing of weekly worship bulletins, monthly newsletters, annual reports, mailings and other avenues of communication.
- Website: with the assistance of the webmaster, perform basic content management on church website (WordPress) including event calendar, sermon recordings, program details and miscellaneous updates.
- E-mail: Create and manage weekly e-newsletter in MailChimp.
- Records Management
- Create, update and maintain church records related to membership and affiliation.
- Work with Clerk, Financial Secretary and others to ensure accuracy.
- As part of a team, identify new database system and facilitate migration.
- Maintain church records/filing system.
- Maintain church calendar.
- Facilitate the distribution of bills for approval and their subsequent payment.
- Assure that all receipts (cash and checks) are provided to the Financial Secretary in a timely manner.
- Coordinate with Accountant on accurate record keeping.
- Work with Budget committee to produce annual budgets for dispersal and approval.
- Building Management
- Coordinate with the cleaning company the general care of the building.
- Work with the Building Use Coordinator regarding of external building users.
- Order supplies as needed.
- Facilitate the signage and condition of the building to be welcoming.
- Partner with the staff in the over-all direction and health of the organization.
- Develop needed skills and knowledge relating to the position.
Required Skills The ideal candidate will have:
- A positive attitude and approach to his/her work combined with demonstrated initiative.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills combined with a commitment to the organization.
- Expertise with Microsoft Office suite of applications required, including Outlook, Word, Excel, Publisher, and PowerPoint. Ability to perform basic publication layout in Publisher required.
- Experience managing web content (in WordPress or similar content management system), basic photo and audio editing capabilities, and experience with an HTML email system (Constant Contact, MailChimp, etc.) are all plusses.
- Experience managing organizational finances required. Experience with a modern accounting system (QuickBooks, etc.) strongly desired.
- Commitment to excellence in communication work.
- Experience with a church environment would be helpful but not required.
Compensation and Benefits
The Administrator will be paid monthly (15th) in an annualized salary of $22,776 (which equates to $18.25 per hour). A retirement benefit of 8% of salary will be paid in monthly increments. The Administrator will have three weeks of paid vacation as well as nine paid holidays (New Years Day, Martin Luther King Day, Presidents Day, Patriots Days, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day). As required by law, the church will pay its portion of Social Security and coverage for Worker’s Compensation. Should health care insurance be needed, the church will contribute a proportion based on the number of hours worked per week.